Friday, May 6, 2011

Number 3 - What Wonderful People!

Sorry for the delay in keeping up with my blog and the list of the Top 5 Reasons to Stay at a B&B, especially ours. I was a bit distracted waiting for an addition to the family - Amy and Mark's great nephew (my cousin) was born yesterday so now I can get back to my job - sleeping in the sun, blogging and greeting guests.
So the 3rd best reason to stay at a B&B - the people!!! Our guests come from all over the United States and the world, bringing a variety of experiences, languages and vacation ideas with them and this all comes together in the dining room at breakfast. Talking with each other, sharing plans and adventures that each has had while visiting Bath and midcoast Maine shapes each guests stay into a unique experience. Guests often find out that this is a very small world we live in. I remember we had one couple visiting from Germany and also a family staying with us from New York. While everyone was at breakfast and talking they discovered that the gentleman from New York had recently given a lecture at the law firm where the woman worked in Germany! Or the time the couple showed up from Essex, England and were staying 2 nights. The next night a couple comes to the door looking for a room also from Essex, England. Seated together the next morning for breakfast they discover they only lived about 20 minutes apart! I also enjoy when guests come back from a day out exploring the sights and share all their stories with each other over afternoon tea on the patio. I get to hear about what they did, how cold they think the ocean is even in the middle of the summer and where they found the best lobster. And lastly, it is not just the wonderful guests here at the Packard House but also the wonderful dog!

No comments:

My Favorite Kitchen Spot

My Favorite Kitchen Spot
I love laying right here in the kitchen - this is the old floor that is going to be replaced soon.

Our Journey to Bath

Before Amy and Mark ever even thought about making me a part of their family, they were thinking about being innkeepers. About a year and a half after they adopted me, they left me in Erie, PA and took a trip to explore possible towns in New England to open their new business. While I patiently waited at home with a dog sitter, they journeyed to Bath ME, their first stop on the trip. It was December of 2004 so it was cold and raining in Maine but they fell in love with the town and the people they met. Driving to the next town in New Hampshire in a snow storm, they knew in their hearts that Bath was going to be our new home. They went ahead and looked at the other places as planned, but Bath was it. In February of 2005, they left me once again to look at a house on the market in Bath. It had been a B&B but had gone to a private home for the past couple years. Well, lucky us, they loved the house and put in a bid. It was so exciting when the realtor called us in Erie to say the Benjamin F. Packard House was ours! Things started moving quickly then. Packing up the house in Erie, making long distance arrangements for licenses, sprinkler systems and all the things that go with opening a new business. On May 14th, they packed the car and this time took me along too. We closed on the house on May 16th and in six hectic weeks, opened the new Benjamin F. Packard House B&B! My life as a bed and breakfast dog had begun.


Relax on my private patio

Come and enjoy a fabulous gourmet breakfast in my diningroom

Cozy up to warm fire with my complimentary afternoon tea

Enjoy the morning paper along with a cup of fresh brewed coffee in our parlor